Speaking Topics for Semester Test

Xem chủ đề cũ hơn Xem chủ đề mới hơn Go down 
Tác giảThông điệp
Ryn
Stand By Me

Tổng số bài gửi : 40

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Speaking Topics for Semester Test   Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:27 am

My best friend

Probably my best friend is one of my schoolmates. Her name is Marcela and we have known each other since we were 8 years old. If I were to describe how she looks, I would say she is very pretty. She has short brown hair, brown almond-shaped eyes, a small nose and a small pointed chin. She is not very tall but not short either and she is quite slim. She doesn't like to dress up so I usually see her wearing jeans and a T-shirt or sweater.

It seems like she and I are always talking or laughing about something. She has a very nice personality and a wonderful sense of humor but she can also get a little depressed from time to time. I can always count on her to be honest and to give me the best advice.

We are interested in many of the same hobbies. We both enjoy music, playing the guitar and singing. We like going to the cinema but sometimes can't agree on which movie to see. Sometimes we just walk around, trying to find a new area of the city to explore. We both like traveling, reading, and swimming. Sometimes during the summer, I go with her and her family to their summer house which is located next to a large lake. We usually spend most of the day swimming or exploring the area but sometimes we take a small row boat and go fishing. In the evenings we might walk into town and see a movie or stay at home and watch television. Whatever we're doing, it's always fun to be with her.

I know I can rely on her. Even when our lives get busy we still make time to see each other. I can't imagine going to school and not having her there. Since I am better in math and science and she is better in English and languages, we can always help each other if we get confused about a difficult homework assignment. We are lucky that we complement each other so well and that we get along so well. I hope that our friendship will continue and be just as strong after we graduate from high school. We would like to study at the same university.

[♥️] L0v3 Aly&AJ 4ever [♥️]
...♥️!!~ Loading[████████████] 99.9% ~!!♥️... ♥️♥️♥️ Aly & AJ ♥️♥️♥️
Về Đầu Trang Go down
Xem lý lịch thành viên http://a5pro.5forum.biz
Ryn
Stand By Me

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Speaking Topics for Semester Test   Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:41 am

Your ways of learning Vocabulary

How to learn vocabulary

Foreign language vocabulary building can be one of the more tedious aspects of learning a language. Fortunately, there are various methods you can use to speed the process up, or at least to add a little spice.

Before beginning to learn foreign words, there is one point that is often overlooked and this is that words should be divided into two categories. Words that you want to be able to use and words that you just want to recognize. It is often said that 90 % of language is composed of 3000 or so commonly used words, but what is less often pointed out is that the other 10 % are pretty much endless. As a foreigner learning a second language the words that you want to use generally fall within the first 90 %. The others, by and large, just need to be recognized.

So now, armed with two categories, lets look at some ways to improve vocabulary learning.

Vocabulary Lists

The most obvious way of learning vocabulary is by making a vocabulary list and learning it. Its easy to write a list of words and doesn’t require much thought.

Not very subtle.

One thing (to remember) about learning and memory is that it is easier to retain language (and anything else) when active learning is involved. Organize your vocabulary list. Don’t just write it. Put the words into an order that makes sense to you. (Active learning). It is also easier to learn words by category, so group words by category e.g. animals, fruit etc.

In many languages different words have different genders. French, Italian and Spanish have masculine and feminine. German has masculine, feminine and neuter. As an aid to learning the gender of words try organizing vocabulary lists by gender.

Word association

Associate an English word with the foreign word you need to learn. For example, hortus is the Latin word for garden. Not very memorable in itself, but if you associate it with tortoise (because they rhyme) which lives in the garden, this mnemonic will help you remember the word.

The difficulty with using word association and lists as vocabulary learning tools is that they do not help you use the word. This is because they don’t give you any idea as to the context in which it should be used. The word will not necessarily spring to mind when you need it either.

Name items
Write words you are trying to learn on everyday items. This is an easy way to expand your vocabulary. All you need to do is glance at the writing every time you use the item. So not only have you associated the word with the object, something that a straight vocabulary list does not do, but you are more likely to remember it when you need it.

Learn complete sentences

A very good way of vocabulary building is to acquire vocabulary by learning sentences. It is often easier to learn a complete sentence than the individual words contained . There is the added bonus that you have an example of the word being used. Latin has so many pithy little expressions that it seems appropriate to use one to illustrate this.

Magna est veritas et praevalet great is truth and it prevails

Learning this sentence, you learn five words, and it is much easier to do this than learn the words individually. The same is true for French, Italian, Spanish etc. Pick a sentence which illustrates a point for you, look up the words and memorize it.

The downside of learning sentences to improve vocabulary is that this will not necessarily give you the gender of the words you are learning. These will need to be learnt separately.

Finally

No method of learning vocabulary is perfect. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. The surest bet is to use a combination of them all.
Home

Search this site
About this site
Phrases in various languages
Learn foreign words and phrases quickly with Linguata language software.

www.linguata.com

Về Đầu Trang Go down
Ryn
Stand By Me

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Speaking Topics for Semester Test   Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:04 am

My Bedroom

I have this compulsive obsession with my bedroom It's about the only place I can change around to suit myself. If I want the walls blue, then blue they will be, if I want photos of certain people up on my walls I put them there, if I want a certain song on I can put it on. Up until year 11 at school, my room was the only place where I could be myself. There was a time in my life, which everyone goes through, where you are discovering yourself, and some say this is a never ending process. This particular stage in my life I let what surrounded me control who I was. Whatever music was in - I'd listen to, whatever clothes were in I'd have. A lot of the time I wasn't even aware of what I was doing, all I knew was I was hardly ever comfortable around people nor was I confident. At my school it was cool to wear certain clothes, listen to certain music, not be apart of school representitive council and not to do school work. Then we hit year 11, lots of changes in my life began. I looked at my life like it was my bedroom, I threw away what wasn't 'me'. I found myself subtley and politley distancing myself from 'friends' I couldnt trust or didnt feel comfortable around, becoming proud of my involvement in Student Representitive Council, becoming more relaxed around my close friends, helping those who realised not studying wasnt so cool afterall and starting to have an opinion without being afraid of speaking it. The more comfortable I became the more confident I was. Dont get my wrong, I wasn't someone without friends before this change, but with this change more people were drawn towards me and I became alot closer to people who I had known for years through high school. We all get drawn to certain trends, which is fine but dont let it dictate who you are or what you believe in. As I said before, I looked at my life as if it was my bedroom, I kept some of the old stuff, but I threw away what wasn't 'me'. I put in some of my taste and personality and that creates the most comfortable place, cos its all me, just like my life now. In the end, individuality and being yourself is what makes you "cool"

Về Đầu Trang Go down
Kimmie
Don't cha wish ur girlfriend was freak like me?

Tổng số bài gửi : 27
Đến từ : BabyV's family [bên DAN]

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Speaking Topics for Semester Test   Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:01 am

uầy, mày tìm đc mấy cái này ở đâu? siêu chế

Xem lý lịch thành viên http://www.dienanh.net
rufus
† I wanna † ♠ k|€k UR ÄSS ♠

Tổng số bài gửi : 51

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Speaking Topics for Semester Test   Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:08 am

Fải ăn chộm mấy thứ làm tư liệu mới được!!!
:-&: Mem lớp mình ơi, tự làm bài đừng copy mấy bài này nhé!!

Pumpkin Pie!
Về Đầu Trang Go down
Xem lý lịch thành viên http://s1.zetaboards.com/Vampire_Knight_home/index
Sponsored content

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Speaking Topics for Semester Test   

Về Đầu Trang Go down

Speaking Topics for Semester Test
Xem chủ đề cũ hơn Xem chủ đề mới hơn Về Đầu Trang 
Trang 1 trong tổng số 1 trang